What is the treatment for nose boils?
Boils are localized staph infections that can occur on any part of the skin. If mishandled, the boils found in any location can turn out be complicated. However, the nose boils are quite risky in particular and they require an immediate medical examination. This is due to the fact that the veins in the nose lead directly to one’s brain. Hence, if there is even a slight carelessness or negligence in handling the nose boils, then the consequences can be alarming.
The nose plays a vital role in filtering out the microbes and it is also quite susceptible to bacterial and viral infections due to its location.
Nasal vestibulitis is a kind of an infection that occurs at the opening of both the nostrils due to the habits of nose picking and forceful nose blowing. If this infection becomes severe then it may lead to the formation of small boils along the nasal vestibule. These boils can spread the infection beneath the skin. They also happen to be in close proximity to the nasal veins that lead directly to the brain. This increases the chances of a disorder named cavernous sinus thrombosis that can turn out to be life-threatening.
The treatment for nose boils is as follows:
- The doctor prescribes oral antibiotics to control the bacterial infection.
- Wet and hot compressions are applied thrice daily for 15-20 minutes.
- If a boil becomes too large or if it does not show any response to antibiotics then doctors usually lance them surgically.
- One should strictly avoid touching them as the nose is a sensitive region and the boils are highly contagious.
- A q-tip can be dipped into hydrogen peroxide and used to swipe the nose boils.
- Avoid using nose hair clippers lest they introduce more bacteria inside the nose and make matters worse.
- According to the TCM or Traditional Chinese Medicine, inhaling the steam of wild chrysanthemum and dandelion can help the nasal boils to heal faster. These herbs can also be boiled and used as a hot compress over the affected area.
These remedies can help one in dealing effectively with a nose boil.