What Causes Recurrent Boils on the Nose?
Boils are localized bacterial infections that can occur on any part of the skin.
The boils that occur on the nose can lead to quite dangerous consequences. This is because the nasal chambers usually have colonies of benign staph bacteria. Minor infections may occur in the nose due to the habit of nose picking or blowing the nose too hard. This can lead to boils on the skin of the nose tip. The doctors are usually concerned about such boils because the veins from the nose lead to the brain. If the nose boils are not treated on time or if they are meddled with or squeezed then a life-threatening disorder known as cavernous sinus thrombosis can occur. The main cause of this potentially risky disorder is a bacterial infection that spreads from the nose, sinuses, eyes, teeth, ears or the facial skin.
So we find that the boils on the nose are quite risky and hence they should be treated with utmost care. If in spite of a proper medical treatment the boils keep recurring, then the situation can become quite grave.
Boils usually tend to recur due to the following reasons:
- Some people carry the spores of the staph bacteria genetically.
- A family member who is the staph carrier can spread the infection through contact.
- Unhygienic conditions.
- Immunocompromising diseases
- Weak immune system.
In order to avoid the recurrence of boils on the nose one should follow these methods:
- One should use chlorhexidine or povidone iodine skin cleansers while bathing.
- Oral antibiotics such as Rifampicin or low dose Clindamycin can destroy the nasal bacteria till a few months.
- Some boils are resistant to treatment. The pus from such boils should be sent for a bacterial culture and sensitivity test. The reports help the doctor in deciding which antibiotic can be prescribed to cure those particular bacteria.
- Control diabetes
- Reduce one’s weight.
Although it is not possible to get rid of the nasal bacterial colonies permanently, yet the above- mentioned remedial measure can help in reducing them.