Boils are caused on the skin by a kind of a staph infection. Boils are divided into different categories such as furuncles, carbuncles, folliculitis, cystic acne, pilonidal cysts etc on the basis of their nature and location.
It is only in cases of carbuncles and some large or complicated boils that surgical removal becomes indispensable. Carbuncles are a group of interconnected furuncles with several drainage points. These boils can be handled the best by a medical practitioner.
In most cases, the boils wither away after some time. Some are mild enough to be treated at home in a natural way.
The natural cure for boils has several benefits. They are devoid of any side effects as none of the strong medications are involved. These methods are easy to be followed and are cost effective too. The natural cure for boils includes several methods of redressing the problem of boils and their recurrence. They are as follows:
- Garlic should be included in one’s diet as it an antiseptic. It helps in detoxification of the body. Thus it helps in curing boils as the toxins in the body also cause boils.
- Drinking a lot of water and including fiber in one’s diet helps one in keeping the bowels clean. This is essential in the treatment of boils because the problem of constipation worsens the skin problems. More waste products have to be removed from the system via the skin which creates problems.
- The role of the body’s immune system comes into play when the boils crop up. The white blood cells fight away the bacteria causing infection. However, if the immunity itself is weak, then the infection gets severe. Hence, a balanced diet including green leafy vegetables and fruits should be preferred. Moreover, refined foods, sugar, foods with added colors, preservatives etc must be avoided. It is prudent to have food in its natural form without any additives as they contain harsh chemicals
- Detoxification or cleansing if the body is essential as toxins in the system may cause boils. A herbal tea made by mixing goldenseal, Echinacea and burdock root should be consumed a few times a day as a natural cure for boils.
- Tea tree oil, which is used in toothpastes and mouthwashes, is an effective antibacterial agent. This oil is applied over the boil for a quick recovery. It acts as a natural antiseptic.
- Turmeric is well known for its therapeutic properties. It has an anti inflammatory effect on the skin and is a blood purifier. It can be taken internally or applied topically. One teaspoon of turmeric is mixed with a cup of warm water and consumed a few times daily for good results. As an alternative, it can be also taken in the form of a capsule of 450 mg. If one prefers to apply it, a paste should be made by mixing it with some water. One should be a little careful while applying it as turmeric stains are stubborn and do not go away easily.
- Castor oil is another powerful healing agent for curing boils. A little castor oil should be put on some cotton and tied over the wound with gauze. It can heal the boil in a matter of two days.
- Extra vitamins and minerals should be included in the diet during the treatment of boils to accelerate the healing process.
- Slices of tomatoes are gently warmed and placed over the boil. The outer leaf of a cabbage can also be warmed and used to cover the boil. The heat applied to the boils in such a way helps in drawing out the pus quickly.
- The betel leaf is gently warmed and is used to cover the boil after a little castor oil has been rubbed on its surface.
- A poultice is made by dipping a piece of bread in hot milk. When the bread reaches a tolerable temperature, it should be used to cover the boil directly.
- Heat treatment is effective in improving the blood circulation. This brings more white blood cells to the infected area. Cloth soaked in hot water is placed on the infected area several times in a day. Once the cloth gets cool, it should be replaced by a hot cloth.