Boil Ointment Helps to Nip the Problem in the Bud
Boils are red, inflamed and pus -filled skin abscesses which appear on the skin when there is an ongoing infection. The skin gets exposed to a lot of dirt, dust, bruises, rashes, and cuts. These pave the way for the bacteria to enter in to it and infect it.
The medical treatment for boils includes lancing and controlling the infection with antibiotics.
Using boil ointment is another effective method of curing the infection. This method can be done at home at ones own convenience. If the boil ointment treatment is given at the correct time the boils may get suppressed at an early stage and will not bring about pain.
Boils are categorized into furuncles and carbuncles. Cystic acne, pimples, pilonidal cysts are also different types of skin abscesses. The infection in all the various types of boils is caused by the staph bacteria. It is only the severity which differs and sometimes the locations.
Detailed scientific research has been done to study the factors which lead to the infection and the germs which cause them. The scientists have identified some natural substances which are powerful potions for the boils. These substances are commonly used in the preparation of the boil ointment. They are as follows:
- Calendula Officinalis naturally occurs in the marigold flower. It is used in ointments mainly because of its anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Echinacea Angustifolia naturally occurs in the coneflower. It is added to ointments due to its anti-septic properties and to control the spread of the infection.
- Sulphur is extensively used to treat skin related problems. It reduces itchiness, dryness and the burning sensation in boils.
Besides these ointments there are some simple methods of making one’s own boil ointment at home. The methods are as follows:
- A cumin seed paste can be prepared by mixing a little hot water to the seeds and grinding them into a paste.
- Onion and garlic are grinded together to form a paste. The paste is effective in helping the boil suppurate. It also helps the wound to dry up quickly.
- Milk cream can be applied to the boil to help it heal faster. It can also be mixed with a slice of bread and used as a poultice for better results.
- Turmeric is a power herb which is being used since ages to cure health problems. Its paste is made by mixing its powder with hot water. It is a blood cleanser and also an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Black drawing salve is also called Black ointment. It is a blend of the herbs, roots and oils which have a soothing effect on the skin. Hence it is used to cure boils.
Certain precautions should be taken before opting for the ointment treatment of the boils, such as:
- Children below the age of 12 should be given an ointment treatment only after consulting a doctor.
- Ointments should be avoided during pregnancy and the lactation period.
- Diabetics and people suffering from immune degrading ailments should avoid ointments.