Best Home Remedy for Boils – Best Way to Cure Painful Boils at Home
A boil is a localized infection which is caused by bacteria named Staphylococcus. The bacteria enter the skin through a cut or by moving down a hair and reaching its follicle.
Initially they are hard and red in color. Eventually, they mature and turn white and soft. This is a defense mechanism of the body to tackle the problem. White blood cells are dispatched to the infected region to kill the bacteria. Therefore the boils turn white due to pus and gradually form a pustule or head.
In most cases, such boils can get cured easily without any medical help. Different types of skin abscess such as carbuncles, furuncles, acne cysts etc. are referred to as boils, for convenience.
Their treatment differs according to their nature and cause of origin.
It is only in some chronic and severe cases that the boils need to be medically examined. Otherwise awareness about them is enough to get rid of them and even in their prevention.
The best home remedy for boils is as follows:
- Honey is an excellent remedy to cure boils because of its anti bacterial properties. Manuka honey when applied on the boil by a cotton pad is an effective cure. It has a tendency of extracting the bacteria through the skin.
- Iodine is applied on the boil to kill the bacteria. It easily penetrates into the infected skin, thereby, accelerating the recovery.
- Epsom salt too pulls the bacteria out. It can be added to the bath tub before taking a bath.15-20 minutes are more than enough for the skin to soak its goodness.
- Tea tree oil is widely used for curing various skin problems due to its antiseptic properties. Though its smell is not a pleasant one, yet it is quite effective. A little oil has to be applied on the boil after a bath.
- Turmeric, with its anti inflammatory and blood purifying properties is a good natural remedy for boils. It can be taken in the form of capsule or by dissolving it in warm water and drinking it. Applying a paste made from turmeric on the boil and covering it is also effective .However in this case care should be taken since it stains the clothes.
- Onion and garlic juice is mixed in an equal proportion and applied on the boil. This hastens the ripening of the boils. Thus the pus is formed and the pustule also develops, soon after which the boil gets drained.
- Milk cream is one of the best home remedy for boils. When used as a poultice along with a little turmeric powder and vinegar, it ripens the boils faster and heals them without developing infections.
- Soaking pads in hot water and applying it on the boils 3-4 times daily also helps in their quick ripening and healing. Such heat treatment is also considered to be one of the best home remedy for boils.
- Betel leaves are warmed and smeared with castor oil. They boils are then covered by these leaves. The leaf is changed after short intervals. It helps in curing the boils as it is said to have therapeutic properties.
- Margosa leaves can be used as a poultice or a decoction to cure boils
Since boils are contagious, they should be dealt with care. Pricking or squeezing them is considered risky as the infection may spread to other regions and cause complication. They should be lanced only after they have ripened and formed a head.