Adenitis under Armpit – Explore the Facts and its Treatment
Boils can appear on any part of our skin due to staph infections, weak immunity, unhygienic conditions etc. Boils are classified into carbuncles, furuncles, pilonidal cysts etc depending on their location and nature.
Adenitis under armpit is caused by a rare chronic inflammatory skin condition known as hidradenititis suppurativa. It can develop multiple abscesses in the armpits, genitals, bottom and under the breasts in women.
Adenitis under armpit can either be as mild as a black head or as severe as a draining golf-ball sized boil.
This is a chronic skin infection caused by the total blockage of the appocrine hair follicle. The causes for such a blockage have been linked to one’s genes and immune disorders.
Apparently the people who suffer from this infection are embarrassed to take medical help. Therefore meager research has been done into finding out more about this problem. The information that we already have is enough in helping us treat this problem if we pay attention to it.
Some facts about adenitis underarm boils are as follows:
- Hidradenititis suppurativa is found to worsen due to stress.
- Hormonal imbalance can also trigger this infection.
- People who smoke a lot and take fatty and junk food are found to be affected by this infection persistently.
- It has been reported that hidradenititis suppurativa aggravates due to use of deodorants.
- There is no specific treatment that has been developed for hidradenititis suppurativa.
However, attempts are made to cure this infection by these methods:
- Systemic steroids to control their inflammatory effect.
- Acitretin can control the infection well. However it is not recommended for use during pregnancy.
- Many people who suffer from this chronic skin infection are clinically depressed. The medical treatment can cure only the symptoms. However, for uprooting the infection in such cases, the reason for depression which is the root cause, must be eliminated.
- Lancing or incision and drainage of the boils.
- Plastic surgery and skin grafts are done due to poor healing when the infection gets severe.
For a proper diagnosis and treatment it is prudent to visit a dermatologist who is experienced in hydradenitis treatment.